We are the only dedicated Sprint Canoe Kayak club on Victoria’s Gorge waterway providing children and youth the fun of recreational kayaking along with development, competitive and national podium stream programming.
Our coaches are trained through the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP). We are certified Community and Entry Level Competitive Coaches (ELCC) overseen by the only NCCP certified Competitive Development paddling coach in Victoria.
- affordably introduce our paddle sport to youth in the community;
- provide opportunities for increased physical literacy;
- progressive programming and knowledgeable coaching towards skill enhancement;
- level-appropriate coaching from recreational to high performance.
Chinook Board & Members
We are a members-run club. Our Board is comprised of primarily community parents who volunteer to lead our club. Our performance paddlers include medalists and champions, Team BC, Canada Games, Jr/Sr national Development Team and Jr Worlds athletes.
- effective informed leadership and knowledgeable coaching;
- the principles of Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) and Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L);
- the principles of True Sport, mentorship, esprit de corps and volunteerism;
- safety and respect for individuals, equipment, and in our communication;
- a club culture of integrity and best practices;
- camaraderie and a sense of belonging.
Chinook provides level-appropriate coaching, sprint canoes, kayaks and paddles, access to multiple paddling disciplines (outrigger, dragon boat, SUP), safety boats and equipment, PFDs, dock facilities, public washroom, and private boat storage, when available. Our spring/summer intake is April 1st while fall/winter cross-training and weights for advanced programs begins October 1st of each year.