Chinook is a charitable non-profit paddling club providing youth through adult programming. We are a small friendly club overseen by Victoria’s only NCCP* Competitive Development Sprint Canoe Kayak coach. NCCP certified CanoeKids and ELCC coaches lead our monthly introductory community courses and our Development Program.
* Our National Sports Organization requires Comp Dev (NCCP) coaching to advance Sprint Canoe Kayak athletes towards the national podium stream or international competitions.
- introduce our paddle sport to youth in the community through affordable introductory courses;
- provide opportunities for increased physical literacy;
- progressive programming and knowledgeable coaching to facilitate the skill enhancement of competitive paddlers;
- level-appropriate coaching from recreational to high performance, as per their individual goals.
Our members include Team BC, Canada Games, Jr/Sr National Development Team and Jr Worlds athletes..
Our Program Values
- effective informed leadership and knowledgeable coaching;
- the principles of Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) and Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L);
- the principles of True Sport, mentorship, esprit de corps and volunteerism;
- safety and respect for individuals, equipment, and in our communication;
- a club culture of integrity and best practices;
- camaraderie and a sense of belonging.
We are located dockside on the Gorge waterway in Victoria at the Fairway Gorge Paddling Club facility, a wheelchair accessible venue, at 2940 Jutland Road.
Chinook programs include level-appropriate coaching and access to the multiple paddling disciplines of outrigger, dragon boat and surfski, a safety boat, dock facilities, public washroom, safety equipment, sprint canoes and kayaks, paddles, and private boat storage (when available).
Our seasonal intake begins April 1st and October 1st of each year. Please feel free to contact us mid-season to discuss options. Winter sessions for advanced paddlers involve versatile and appropriate cross-training fitness and weights programs.
A member in good standing with CanoeKayak BC and CanoeKayak Canada.
The photo is of the Gorge Waterway at sunrise by Heather K. Jones Photography.