We acknowledge that Chinook is located on the traditional territories of the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ First Nations whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.
Victoria’s only dedicated Sprint Canoe Kayak club
Welcome to Chinook on the Gorge waterway where expert coaching staff safely teach children our outdoor specialty, the healthy fun of Sprint Kayaking. Chinook is singularly focused on Sprint Kayak, being the home of Victoria’s only NCCP trained and certified Comp Dev paddling coaches. Our calibre of coaches ensure your youth paddlers have choices from causal recreational paddling to competitive provincial, national, international, and Olympic dreams.
Our coaches are certified through Canada’s National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) in CanoeKids Community, Entry Level Competitive (ELCC), and advanced Competitive Development (Comp Dev) coaching; with criminal record checks, first aid training and safety boat operator licenses. Our Development Coach has been Head Paddling Coach for Zone 6 (the island) the last three BC Summer Games.
- affordably introduce our paddle sport to children and youth in the community
- provide fun opportunities for increased physical literacy and activities out in nature and on water
- progressive programming and knowledgeable coaching towards skill enhancement
- level-appropriate coaching from recreational to high performance
Chinook Board & Members
We are a members-run club. Our Board is comprised of community parents who volunteer to lead our club. Our performance paddlers include medalists and champions, Team BC, Canada Games, Jr/Sr National Development Team and Jr Worlds athletes.
- effective informed leadership and knowledgeable coaching
- the principles of True Sport, mentorship, esprit de corps and volunteerism
- safety and respect for individuals, equipment, and in our communication
- a club culture of integrity and best practices
- camaraderie and a sense of belonging
Chinook provides level-appropriate coaching, mini and standard sprint kayaks and paddles, safety boats and equipment, PFDs, dock facilities, public washrooms, waterfront gym access and private boat storage when available. Our spring/summer intake is April 1st while fall/winter cross-training and weights for advanced programs begins October 1st of each year.